Friday 7 January 2011

The post may be running late, and infuriatingly randomly at the moment, but my goodness a whole lot of happiness arrived this morning.

Tanya Whelan's Dolce


Amy Butler's Daisy Chain

Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush


Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush


Sea from Cloud9 organic cotton
 Some of the above I got for Christmas, some of it I got in January pre-vat increase sales...
Something that didn't quite make the condensed 2011 list, but has remained in my mind, is to try and establish some good habits, in the sewing cupboard at least ;-)    A lot of quilt makers recommend you pre-wash all your fabric before you use it.  They also say that you should iron seams religiously.  I've been ironing all my seams for a few months now, and boy does it make a difference.  So much easier to continue joining sections when the seams are all beautifully flat and in the right direction!  So, pre-washing.  I thought it was about time I got stuck into following that advice too. 

I have to admit I was so nervous about colour run, I did a 30 degree wash, well 3 of them as I separated everything into lights and darks, and then inbetweens!  I also stuck in some colour catcher sheets.  A whole lot of "ruined fabric" scenarios occupied my naps...    Fortunately the colours looked fine!  Happy happy.  No runs, all the gorgeous bright beautiful patterns still gorgeously bright and beautiful.  But oh the threads, the threads, everywhere.  The fraying...  So sad, so horrible.  "Pre-wash to get shrinkage over and done with, so your finished quilt doesn't shrink much."  Sod fabric shrinkage, the only shrinkage I'm seeing is the terrible waste of fraying, brought on by pre-washing!

A little point of note, for anyone as dumb as me (I'm assuming most of you will know this so apologies for stating the obvious to clever folk) Never let your cotton fabric do a full cycle on tumble dry.  Have the brains to remember to stop the machine and take everything out before its completely dry.  Its not so important with most clothes these days, as most clothes these days have a certain degree of Lycra or polyester or some man made non natural substance to them, making them relatively ready to wear.  Given that I now have the memory of a gnat I almost always, well, actually just always to be honest, completely forget I've put a load in and it can sit in washing machine or dryer for days...  But back to the cotton.  Or at least what I know was cotton but now resembled the fabric equivalent of a car crushed into a wee metal cube.   Not so happy, happy. 


Sticking with my new "find the bright side" challenge, I got to use my lovely new ironing board cover for a good 11 hours.  (that's not including the frequent essential naps).  Here's a thought - Cath Kidston, so many pretty things, so girly, so cute, so moreish.  So expensive!  So I'm sure I'm not the only girl who couldn't resist the sale.  Might it then be an idea NOT to package the stuff in boxes with "Cath Kidston" boldly spread across every angle, might it be possible that more girls would be tempted if the packages arrived in unmarked boxes?  Or am I the only one who considers it a guilty pleasure?

No such thing as a sneaky Cath Kidston purchase...

Another little bright side (I'm getting the hang of this, i think) is that I think I have found the most delicious most delightful fabric softener on the market.  How good is this stuff?  It actually made me not HATE ironing!  Well, not HATE with the normal degree of intensity at least, which i think says a great deal.  Even when my will to live was flagging, a hot fresh waft of jasmine drifted up and reminded me so much of living in Lisbon, where some Jasmine grew up the side of the front door to just under my bedroom window.  Warm, scented Happy Happy Happy...

The sheer hell of a million brutal irrepressible creases over, I can store my beloved bundle bounty ready to use - albeit with the firm intention not to bother to pre-wash fat quarters, and for gods sake girl remember not to tumble dry the crap out of cotton ever again.  

Now you'd think after all that I'd be getting stuck right in to using one of those beauties.  Think again!  I am going to prolong the pleasure and keep them on display for a wee while, enjoying every minute of planning what to do with them!  In the mean time i have 3 jelly rolls from last year to enjoy!


  
First up will be Moda Pure Sweetwater range, used in this intriguing pattern from Crazy Mom Quilts on Bee Square Blog   A new pattern for me to try, one that looks like triangles but (thank god) ISN'T!    Well, one step at a time eh? 

 


8 comments:

  1. No fair! I want to go fabric shopping now! So pretty! I want I want I want! hehe! ;)

    You've convinced me pre washing isn't the way to go as I'd never bothered as worried about fraying as some fat quarters fray before I've even touched them.

    I know what you mean about the Kath Kidston stuff, there seems to be a movement against her stuff from some bloggers as over cute. I think this is unfair, but not as unfair as her prices!

    And 'Go you!' for being so cheerful about so many things, thanks for the uplift! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah, have you tried zig zagging all round the seams of your fabric piece before washing?? Should sort your little fraying problem out.
    (What a fantastic haul, by the way!!)
    Portia
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new header, where did you get you labels done? I've seen a few people using these and would love to get some done for myself but haven't really known where to look.
    Portia
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That IS an amazing stash! Lucky, lucky you to be able to gaze at all those colours and combinations! You are going to be one helluva busy seamstress! (Seamstress sounds better than sew-er which looks like the word for wastewater drainpipe!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe I do feel rather lucky looking at it all to be honest! Thats why I'm going to leave it all whole and just look at it for a while! Lots of bargains to be had at the moment, just involved a lot of looking at different sites for different pieces, the only collection pictured above that came entirely from one supplier was the Innocent Crush, a present, from Seamstar - my january sales shopping came from Raystitch, Sew Me Happy, and Saints and Pinners. All well worth a browse.
    Portia - got the labels done at www.wovenlabelsuk.com 36 narrow at £9.99. Not a bad deal I thought. Plus I liked that they did a small quantity, most the sites I looked at required you starting with over a hundred! And zigzaging the edges? Doh! Why didnt I think of that?! Probably didnt occur to me cos it would require more effort!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi - Cath Kidston is an addiction. I know I shouldnt, I know its horribly overpriced, but I just cant help it! And I did really need a new ironing board cover, as I ruined the last one with fusable adhesive spray and iron on transfer pen (though I could have gotten away with a MADCHESTER adorned ironing board I suppose - ohhh, indie ironing boards, could i start a new craze? Did get bargain of lovely button tin for £3 too. But then I also got a hair clip i thought would be small shiny enamel and its actually 4" plastic :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checked out the label site. Fabbo! Bookmarked.
    Also just had a look at the link you gave me for the American in Edinburgh. I have soooooooo got to organise a little trip there. You have Lawrie cousins!! Ha ha, what are the odds on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm addicted to Amy Butler at the moment, fabric and books so I'm just as bad! hehe!

    Not good with the hair clip, nothing worse that thinking something is one thing and it turns up different. I had a similar experience with a necklace I bought online, it turned out to be children's sized so could only just get the chain round my neck and the pendant was minuscule so I sent it back. Hope you've got a better deal with the clip.

    Enjoy your haul of goodies!

    ReplyDelete